Wondering how to send money on Facebook or WhatsApp?
You’re in luck!
We’ll be going over both in this article, along with other tidbits you may want to know during your money transfer adventures.
In this article, we’ll discuss:
Facebook payments are a great way to send or receive money now, providing a super quick, convenient, and easy way of sending money on any mobile device or computer.
Most of us already have a Facebook account, right?
So you don’t need much to get started.
Pretty much just your debit card information or PayPal details, and you’re good to go!
Especially if you need to transfer money often, this method is useful if you’re trying to avoid other apps’ limits, such as Venmo or Cash App transfer limits.
How to Send Money on Facebook
You can safely send and receive money to friends & family through Facebook Messenger using a bank-issued debit card or PayPal account. For added security, you can even create a PIN.
How do I use Facebook Pay to send or receive money on Messenger? 
To send money:
- Open the Messenger App on your mobile device or computer
- Begin a new message with the person you want to send money to
- Tap the plus sign (+) then the dollar sign ($) to trigger a payment
- Enter the amount you’d like to send
- Tap Pay or tap Next if you haven’t added a debit card or PayPal to your account and follow the onscreen instructions to add your financial information
To receive money:
If you’ve already added a debit card or PayPal to Facebook Pay, money sent to you is automatically accepted. You do not need to take any action.
If you do not have a payment method added, you’ll need to add a debit card or PayPal to Facebook Pay
- From the Messenger start page, open the conversation containing the payment
- Tap Add Debit Card and follow the onscreen instructions to add your card or PayPal account
Note: Bear in mind your bank may take up to 3 business days to make the money available to you.
Send Money Through Facebook Internationally
Move on from just likes and shares. You can now send money internationally through Facebook! The money transfer service Wise (formerly TransferWise) has introduced a new chatbot that enables Facebook users to transfer funds abroad using the social network’s Messenger app.
How cool is that?!!
Facebook has enabled users to send money to each other through Messenger for a while now, but only domestically. TransferWise’s bot will be the first to facilitate international money transfers right through the Messenger app. That’s a big deal — even Venmo is limited outside the United States.
Wise itself is actually a great money transfer app to take a look at for international transfers, especially if you need to access them regularly.
For info on that, check out our Wise referral bonus guide.
Can You Send Money on Facebook with a Credit Card
When you send money through Facebook Messenger, can you use a credit card?
No, you cannot.
You have to use a debit card because you’re essentially paying with your own money.
Therefore, it’s considered as an EFT transfer or electronic funds transfer, unlike credit cards which are not connected to your actual bank accounts.
Send Money from Facebook to PayPal
Can you send money from Facebook to your PayPal account?
You sure can!
If you’ve already linked your Facebook account to PayPal.
You can do this by navigating to the Payments section of Facebook’s settings and choosing how you want to pay or get paid.
If you haven’t yet linked your accounts, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Payments section of Facebook’s settings
- Choose how you want to send or get paid (add your PayPal account if it’s not already there)
- Login with your Facebook credentials on PayPal and add the same payment method
You’ll receive an email notification as soon as your accounts are connected.
What happens when you send money from your PayPal account?
When you send money on Messenger using a debit card, it will securely move directly from your bank account into your or the recipient’s bank account.
Send Money Through WhatsApp
How do you send money through WhatsApp? 
The latest version of WhatsApp already has the ability to send money from one phone number to another, similar to how you can send a message.
If you’re not familiar with how this works, how does it work?
Let’s say you want to pay your friend for taking her turn in buying everyone coffee.
- Open up a chat window and tap the $ icon at the top of your screen
- Put in how much money you want to send
- Tap ‘send’. The amount will be sent immediately via either their bank account or PayPal (you choose).
How easy is that?!
Especially when we’re often stuck waiting for time-consuming clearance transactions from traditional methods like checks and wire transfers.
Send Money Through Whatsapp on iPhone
Is there anything different about sending money through WhatsApp when you have an iPhone?
If you have an iPhone, you’ll need to receive a QR code from the person sending you money before you can send it.
Here’s how that works:
- Open up WhatsApp on your phone and open up a conversation with that person
- Tap the 3 dots at the top right corner of their name and select ‘send money’ (you’ll need to have your debit card info saved)
- Send them the unique QR code that appears as well as how much money they’re sending you.
Once they scan the QR code with their WhatsApp, it will automatically send them into the app store to download a PayPal app if they don’t already have one.
Then they’ll go through the checkout process within Paypal until the transfer is complete.
Easy peasy 🙂
Facebook Messenger Payments FAQs
How to quickly send money over Facebook?
Send Money to Friends in Messenger:
- Open a message with a friend (or start a new one)
- Tap the dollar sign ($) icon and enter the amount you want to send
- Tap Pay in the top right to send the funds – you’ll need to add your debit card to send money if you haven’t yet (or your PayPal account)